Jul 26, 2015

Donuts At Sea - Layout Process Video

This was one of those layouts where I started out with a vision that didn't quite make it as I imagined it to be.  You know those layouts that just take on a life of their own as you create them.  I started with an 8 X 11 layout sketch that I had planned to adapt to a 12 X 12 layout.  The sketch showed lots of square mats of patterned paper and so I started by cutting out squares of different colored paper. However, it just looked too busy, especially after I was done with the background.  As I started creating my background, I knew I wanted to use my new Lumiere paints but I wasn't really sure what I was going to paint.  It just seemed like my brush wanted to paint squares of color and so that is what I did. Once I added the paint squares to the page, the square mats of paper no longer fit.  So after settling on just a couple of mat layers for each picture, I also matted my photos with some black cardstock, which really allowed them to pop off the page.  I cut up a cellophane bag that I got from a weekend crop that I attended recently and used that in my layers.  I felt that the color of the circles fit with the scheme.  I like to create my own embellishments from time to time and I got the idea to create some donuts with modeling paste.  They came out okay, except that on a couple of them I made the holes too big.  Oh well, I just tell myself they are just whimsical.  Ha!  I added some glitter and seed beads to my donuts (even thought the ones in the pics didn't have sprinkles) because it made them more interesting.  I was real satisfied with this layout in the end.  I like the Deco feel of the layout after I outlined the squares with black lines and did the random stamping of words around the page.  I hope you enjoy watching this process.  Thanks for stopping by.



SUPPLY LIST

  • Paper:  Prima Marketing - Seashore Collection; Cardstock - from my stash and my scraps
  • Mediums:  Liquitex modeling paste; Glossy Accents; Martha Stewart glitter - crystal course; seed beads - from stash; Gesso - Bob Ross
  • Ink: Distress Ink - Black Soot; Ranger Alcohol Ink - Pink Sherbert
  • Tools: Sew Easy - Strait Stitch; We R Memory Keepers - Corner Rounder - 1/4" and Deco 
  • Paint: Lumiere by Jaquard - Halo Pink Gold, Halo Blue Gold, Pearl Turquoise; Americana Acrylic Paint - Calypso Blue; Anita's All Purpose acrylic paint - Carmine
  • Thread: Making Memories - Embroidery Floss - Red
  • Stamps: Basic Grey - Indian Summer; Hampton Art - Foot Longs - Alphas; Jillybean Soup - Discover 
  • Misc.: cellophane bag from stash - polka dot
  • Pens: Pigma Micron - Black .08 - Sakura

No comments:

Post a Comment